[mdlug] reiserfsck and badblocks

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 14:47:05 EDT 2009

Raymond McLaughlin wrote:
> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>> Raymond McLaughlin wrote:

>>> One question here. Why only non-root file systems? SuSE has supported
>>> booting from XFS since ver 8.something. (There was a screw up with 9.1
>>> that prevented it's use on the root partition.)
>> Really?  Didn't know that -- I was under the impressionn that
>> SuSE required an ext* filesystem for the root filesystem.
>>
>> I'll remember that, as I'm going to be upgrading my laptop
>> from 10.1 in the near future.
>
> Oh, I just remembered one consideration. To maintain compatibility with
> the Irix implementation, Linux XFS always starts writing the file system
> in the first sector of the device it is written to. This makes it
> incompatible with installing GRUB (or LILO for that matter) into the
> first partition of the boot sector with an XFS boot partition. As long
> as you can install the boot loader elsewhere, MBR or another partition,
> then XFS can be used for boot/root filesystems.

Cool.  Thanks for that info!

To avoid that hassle, though, I'll just make /boot an EXT3
filesystem, and then / will be XFS.

Considering how rarely /boot is written to, and the few number
of files on it, I can accept that staying as ext3.

Good thing I didn't get around to doing that upgrade yet...
otherwise, I would have been frustrated trying to figure out
how to do it.