[mdlug] Help diagnosing hardware problem - not solved

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Wed Jun 24 09:39:24 EDT 2009

The battery doesn't have to be dead or near the end of its life for the BIOS
to go wonky. I was recently running a restore on a new 1TB SATA HD installed
into a fairly new HP higher end desktop that came with 320GB drives.

Part way through the process, the system just "coughed" or something and it
stopped recognizing the 1TB drive.

After removing the CMOS battery, restoring it (after about 10 minutes) and
then reattaching the drive, the computer recognized the 1TB HD again and
completed the installation of the master recovery program and completed the
OS install.

I can only assume some sort of fluky BIOS related hiccup.

-Rob