[mdlug] OT: Photo Software

Stan Green Stan at mcomputersolutions.com
Fri Jun 19 07:53:21 EDT 2009

David,

Yes, I have scanned hundreds of pictures. (OK, not on Linux.) I have used a HP
photo scanner and a midlevel flat bed scanner. I think the dedicated photo
scanner does a better job, overall, than the flatbed. Most of the time I scan
from negatives, but I have also done prints.

The one question I have is what level of quality do you want and is there need
for image touch up? If you want high quality or touch up, you might what to
consider sending them out. A good quality photo scanner can cost over $1,000.
So it is not someting you what to run out and buy unless you are going to do
thousands of pictures.

If you are doing it at home, plan for no less than 3 minutes per picture. This
includes loading, scanning and archiving. (Make sure you cut a DVD when you
have them all scanned.) If you are going to touch them up yourself, there is
no way to estimate this time without knowing what needs to be done.

Good luck.
Stan Green