[mdlug] reiserfsck and badblocks

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 03:48:53 EDT 2009

Raymond McLaughlin wrote:
> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>> Yes (although you didn't know it was doing something wrong):
>>     you chose reiserfs instead of XFS.
>>
>> In a relatively few power-off situations, I had several problems
>> with reiserfs handling the situation poorly.
>>
>> So, when I installed SuSE 10.1 on my laptop to go to Iraq, I
>> instead used XFS all of my non-root filesystems (/usr, /home,
>> /var, /opt, /local, and /tmp).
>
> One question here. Why only non-root file systems? SuSE has supported
> booting from XFS since ver 8.something. (There was a screw up with 9.1
> that prevented it's use on the root partition.)

Really?  Didn't know that -- I was under the impressionn that
SuSE required an ext* filesystem for the root filesystem.

I'll remember that, as I'm going to be upgrading my laptop
from 10.1 in the near future.

>> I've had similar experience on my desktop machine: XFS has
>> not lost a file since I converted over.
>
> The MDLUG server is on XFS, and I'm pretty sure this chioce is not ther
> reason for the random reboots. (The hardware is getting old.) And I use
> it on most machines I set up. I have seen occasional file loss, but it
> was only files that were being written at the time of a sudden power loss.
>
>> XFS is the more robust filesystem.  Use it.
>
> Some things I've read about ZFS make me wish Sun would allow GPL
> compatible licensing.

Sun is slowly dying, the similar to the 30-year long death
spiral of GM.  They can't afford to give away anything.