[mdlug] reiserfsck and badblocks

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Thu Jun 11 20:34:33 EDT 2009

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> Yes (although you didn't know it was doing something wrong):
>     you chose reiserfs instead of XFS.
>
> In a relatively few power-off situations, I had several problems
> with reiserfs handling the situation poorly.
>
> So, when I installed SuSE 10.1 on my laptop to go to Iraq, I
> instead used XFS all of my non-root filesystems (/usr, /home,
> /var, /opt, /local, and /tmp).

One question here. Why only non-root file systems? SuSE has supported
booting from XFS since ver 8.something. (There was a screw up with 9.1
that prevented it's use on the root partition.)

> I've had similar experience on my desktop machine: XFS has
> not lost a file since I converted over.

The MDLUG server is on XFS, and I'm pretty sure this chioce is not ther
reason for the random reboots. (The hardware is getting old.) And I use
it on most machines I set up. I have seen occasional file loss, but it
was only files that were being written at the time of a sudden power loss.

> XFS is the more robust filesystem.  Use it.

Some things I've read about ZFS make me wish Sun would allow GPL
compatible licensing.