[mdlug] Lemonade on laptop erases hard drive?

Joe Doehler lugnuts at doehler.us
Thu Jun 4 18:19:48 EDT 2009

At 07:27 AM 6/4/2009, David wrote:
 >Recently my son was looking at Google Earth with it and
accidentally dumped a
>cup of lemonade on the keyboard. We shut it down and tried to dry it out.
>When I booted it up again, it came to a blank screen with a cursor flashing
>in one corner.
>
>Later I tried to boot with an old, somewhat scratched,  Knoppix CD.  It came
>up fine,  but I could tell that some of the keys didn't work properly on the
>keyboard (hitting "q" once caused about 4 characters to appear on the
>screen).  I could see 3 partitions on the hard-drive:  the NTFS boot
>partition,  the FAT32 recovery partition, and a third partition (probably
>another part of the recovery process).  I could mount the recovery
>partition,
>but I got an error trying to mount the NTFS partition.  Other core utilities
>crashed as well,  so I figured the scratches on the Knoppix CD were
>significant.

Sounds like the lemonade caused some hardship to the keyboard.
Chances are that the lemonade also caused some problems in the drive
controller circuitry. I would take the drive out and connect it to a
different computer. I would do it soon, before the ntfs partition
gets foobared.

Joe.