[mdlug] su Password problem

Drew drew4096 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 09:37:19 EDT 2009

     The 'su root' command, and the 'Terminal Program - Super User
Mode' application in the Terminals submenu,
have spontaniously stopped accepting my root password. Yast still
accepts it, as does Administrator Mode in
Personal Preferences; and I can also log in as root from the Login
screen. (I get a background wallpaper of
bombs and exclamation points.) But su returns "Wrong password".

     Why the different behavior for su? And why *did* su and the
Super User Terminal app previously accept
my password?

     This is Suse 11.0, running KDE 3.5, Kernel 2.6.25.5-1.1-pae.

----

   - Drew.