[mdlug] Moving to Debian 64bit - Lessons Learned?

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 11:17:28 EDT 2009

On 7/31/09, Stan Green <Stan at mcomputersolutions.com> wrote:
> I am going to attempt to move my main desktop PC to Debian 5.0.2 64bit. (I'm
> doing it on a different PC, so I can keep my current one running until I have
> the new one running correctly.)  This is my first attempt at a 64bit Linux
> install. Are there any lessons others have learned from making this switch
> or with Debian 64bit?

On Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) x64 I've encountered very few issues with
32 or 64-bit applications.  Firefox is a little unstable but I think
Flash is the problem.  I'm using the 64-bit version of Flash:
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

> Has anyone had success/failure with VMWare Workstation 5.5
> in this configuration?
>
> FYI: My main reason to go to 64bit is to be able to access more than 3gb of
> memory. Running VMWare can quickly chew up memory.

I'm using the latest VMware Player without problems.