[mdlug] how would you teach a class?

Garry Stahl tesral at wowway.com
Wed Jul 8 17:38:35 EDT 2009

Jeff Hanson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Dean Durant<mdlug at wowway.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello, I have a coworker who has asked me, how would I teach an intro class on linux. He thinks he can get some students together who would like to learn linux.
>>
>> At first I thought I would have the time and the motivation to really get involved with something like this but now I'm not so sure.
>>
>> He came up with a "linux bible" 2009 ISBN: 0470373679 (by: Christopher Negus)
>> I don't know that something so general, or new, would be needed, what do people think?
>>
>> I think we, or he, would really need an instructor too, I think this would be like a volunteer type of thing, although there is maybe some small chance of some payment. He says he has a location.
>>
>> I made a commitment to at least ask this group.
>>

> http://books.google.com/books?id=PPG8PvUyTOAC&dq=linux+for+dummies&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=3A1VSr-VK5G1lAeOodDsCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4
>
> Start off with "it's not Windows or Mac or Unix".  Then discuss that
> it is "free as in freedom" not "free as in Windows XP Black Edition".
> Then show how there are multiple options for desktop environments and
> window managers but most applications work on any of them.  Show them
> how many companies have Linux versions of their games (ID Software,
> Epic) but sometimes it's just servers, not clients (Valve).  Discuss
> virtualization and emulation versus native applications.  Discuss
> cross-platform applications like Java, .NET, Flash.

No, start off on how to make the computer work.  Worry about political
concepts later.  Yes, point out the places to get software, and show
them how to make it work.  Never say "Read the man page"  99% of man
pages assume you know the programmer's jargon and are gibberish to
anyone not already in the know.  Ask me how I know that.

The most important things about Linux are not the whole free this or
free that, but your power to make it yours and what that really means.
You have to take ownership of the computer.

Why is Joe average put off my Linux?  Because it is mainly pushed by
developers that do not realize that most people are not developers.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users Group http://www.mdlug.org