[mdlug] how would you teach a class?

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Wed Jul 8 17:36:36 EDT 2009

Greetings,

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009, Jeff Hanson wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Dean Durant<mdlug at wowway.com> wrote:
> > Hello, I have a coworker who has asked me, how would I teach an intro class on linux. He thinks he can get some students together who would like to learn linux.
> >
> > At first I thought I would have the time and the motivation to really get involved with something like this but now I'm not so sure.
> >
> > He came up with a "linux bible" 2009 ISBN: 0470373679 (by: Christopher Negus)
> > I don't know that something so general, or new, would be needed, what do people think?
> >
> > I think we, or he, would really need an instructor too, I think this would be like a volunteer type of thing, although there is maybe some small chance of some payment. He says he has a location.
> >
> > I made a commitment to at least ask this group.
> >

> http://books.google.com/books?id=PPG8PvUyTOAC&dq=linux+for+dummies&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=3A1VSr-VK5G1lAeOodDsCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4
>
> Start off with "it's not Windows or Mac or Unix".  Then discuss that
> it is "free as in freedom" not "free as in Windows XP Black Edition".
> Then show how there are multiple options for desktop environments and
> window managers but most applications work on any of them.  Show them
> how many companies have Linux versions of their games (ID Software,
> Epic) but sometimes it's just servers, not clients (Valve).  Discuss
> virtualization and emulation versus native applications.  Discuss
> cross-platform applications like Java, .NET, Flash.

   Then when they are ready to learn Linux System Administration, send
them over to Washtenaw Community College where I will be teaching the
CIS-206 "Linux/UNIX System Administration" class this fall :)

   Thursday evenings, 6pm-9pm

      --- Jay Nugent

Train how you will Operate, and you will Operate how you were Trained.
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]                            |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.org] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|