[mdlug] Linux Desktops For Sale

Garry Stahl tesral at wowway.com
Wed Jul 1 17:48:19 EDT 2009

Jonathan Billings wrote:
> I think that's a bit egotistical.  The reasoning behind drive
> partitioning is directly related to several decades of the limitations
> on decades of PC hardware.  Windows and Mac users rarely need to think
> of partitions, and that's because it's completely transparent to the
> user (for the most part).
>
> I wouldn't tell a reasonable Mac/Windows user to get rid of their
> computer just because they don't understand the complexities of disk
> partitioning.

No, not what I said.  If they cannot understand the idea of partitions
the are too stupid for a computer.   The average Windows  or Mac user
can understand the idea of partitions.  Explain it like rooms in the
house if you must.

Personally I think a good many nerds sell the non nerd public short in
the wits department.

Complexity?  I never found disk partitioning complex.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users Group http://www.mdlug.org