[mdlug] Setting up a home network

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Sun Jan 25 12:59:48 EST 2009

On Jan 24, 2009, at 5:12 PM, Michael wrote:
> Ok I have bind installed on my desktop machine and have things set
> up. When
> I run `host -l newman.lan` locally though it throws an error:
> ;Transfer failed
> Host newman.lan.hsdl.mi.comcast.net not found: 9(NOTAUTH)
> :Transfer failed
>
> I know I am making a stupid mistake and I can't figure it out. Here
> are my
> configuration files if anyone has the time: http://dpaste.com/112594/

I suggest you take a look at DNSMasq[1] for your DNS and DHCP needs.
It lets you managed both your internal DNS and DHCP from very simple
text files.

THe problem is that you're trying to convince bind that you are "in
charge" of the lan.hsdl.mi.comcast.net domain.  You aren't.  Try using
your own private domain (like .homenetwork) or use something like
DynDNS[2] to get your own private namespace.

Refs:
1.) http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html
2.) http://www.dyndns.com/