[mdlug] Setting up a home network

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Sat Jan 24 17:34:52 EST 2009

Michael wrote:
> Ok I have bind installed on my desktop machine and have things set up.
> When
> I run `host -l newman.lan` locally though it throws an error:
> ;Transfer failed
> Host newman.lan.hsdl.mi.comcast.net not found: 9(NOTAUTH)
> :Transfer failed
>
> I know I am making a stupid mistake and I can't figure it out. Here are my
> configuration files if anyone has the time: http://dpaste.com/112594/
>
> The other thing that I know is going to cause a problem is the DHCP on the
> wireless network. I don't think I can have people come and go and add the
> settings if it wasn't dhcp, but that would obviously make it difficult to
> name computers on the network.

Okay, the first thing is to make sure your name server is
answering correctly.  Use the nslookup command and use the
server localhost, then look up hostnames on your network
and the Internet.  It should be able to answer both correctly
before you go to the next step.

Next configure the dhcp server on the router to give your
nameserver IP address rather than the ones received from
your ISP.  Release and renew your dhcp lease on any client,
and it should use your nameserver and be able to resolve
all hostnames.

Two things to consider...create a domain name for your home
lan (if you haven't already) and configure dhcp to give it to
clients...add a full time slave nameserver, which can be a
low-end server that is left on all the time.