[mdlug] Hardware diagnostic SW

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 19:51:20 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 11:17 AM, David Lane <dcl400m at yahoo.com> wrote:
> It started with that Intel CPU fan.  My system shut down a few times due to heat. I went and got a strapable CPU, But the damage was already done. some of the system settings were threashed and in stead of going in to the desktop there would be a graphic back ground and a text window would start and a text window would open.  Then I would have to type "startkde" at the promt then I would get a desktop.
>
> I tryed to repair and upgrade but I always got an error, even when I tryed to load windows, so in the end nothing would install on that system.
>
> David C. Lane

CPUs can handle a lot of overheating damage.  You could try reducing
the clock speed to make it stable.  I've had cooked CPUs run for years
that way.

If you are getting a terminal window on a graphic background then your
system is starting with an xterm session.  This may indicate your
session file (~/.dmrc) may be messed up or has incorrect permissions.
It should be set to 0600 (rw for you only) else it may get ignored as
a security precaution (in Ubuntu at least).

My ~/.dmrc:

[Desktop]
Session=default

Try setting it to kde or kde4 depending on which one you use.