[mdlug] Suggestions for games for an elderly parent?

Robert Meier list1c30fe42 at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 20 22:48:26 EST 2009

Ray,

Though not really games may I suggest the following:

Package: flightgear - flight simulator
Notes: I recommend using the larcsim (LAngley Research Center SIMulator)
       flight dynamics model (fdm).  Though not the default, this fdm is
       realistic.

Package: ksimus
	  - Simulation, Automation, and Visualization of Electrical Circuits
Notes: perfect gift for the electronics hobbyist, without the solder burns!

I'm not much of a gamer, but I enjoyed the following:

TORCS - The Open Racing Car Simulator http://torcs.sourceforge.net/
xword - solve crossword puzzles available online
TuxKart - cartoon gokart race
sokoban - addictive 2-d puzzle (rearrange crates in warehouse by pushing only)
sudoku-savant - solve auto-generated or typed-in puzzles
MAME - Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator
[The SuSE games collection (IIRC othello,samesame,...]
atc - old BSD game - air traffic control
    how long can you direct the planes (that don't always follow direction)

My father enjoys kpat (solitaire).

Though I am not familiar with it, google turned up the following:
  http://www.adventuregamescoalition.com/adventuregamescoalition.htm

Enjoy,
--
Bob

  "From now on we live in a world where man has walked on the Moon.
   It's not a miracle; we just decided to go."
     -- Tom Hanks