[mdlug] A plan to digitize health care - My Apology

Michael S. Mikowski z_mikowski at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 15:02:40 EST 2009

Threat of a lawsuit has some value, but the legal system is set to favor those
with serious financial resources.

For example, if you worked on contract for a business, and they simply do not
pay your invoices, what recourse do you have?  In Michigan, you can sue, but
you will always lose money even when you win.  Why?  Because the only thing
you can do is recover the lost income months or years after you file, and
/after/ paying your lawyer.  Last I knew, you could not recover legal fees,
cost of your time pursuing the matter (discovery is /expensive/) or punitive
damages, even if they use your work to generate income may times the cost of
your work!

If you settle to avoid more fees, then you will get only some percentage of
your income, with attorney's fees coming right out of that.  And you will
almost certainly be required to sign an NDA so you can't even warn your
associates of the immoral behavior of the company.

The best way to structure these things is to own things until they are
completely paid for.  This way, you avoid the need to threaten legal action
and hire a lawyer.  Possession is truly 9/10ths of the law.

Sure, class action lawsuits have benefits, but mostly to the lawyers.  They are
only pursued if a fat commission can be recovered, not if something morally
wrong is being done.  Lets see, last time I was "in" as class action lawsuit,
I think I got maybe $1.35 from Bank of America.  The lawyers made millions.  I
would be willing to bet that every single one of us have been members of a
class action lawsuit numerous times; we just never significant benefit, and are
only notified in 6pt light-gray type on the back page of our billing
statements.

Coming back 'round to health care data, the same principle should apply.
People should have free, fair access to their data, if for no other reason
that they could possess it (e.g. back it up) and not be held hostage to a
company or the legal team they would need to pay to get it back.

Cheers, Mike