[mdlug] A plan to digitize health care - My Apology

Dan DeSloover dand at zifferent.net
Wed Jan 14 10:50:19 EST 2009

Most of the vendors will do a one-time, no-frills data dump for free, but
after that nothing. The idea being the dump will be used to switch
vendors, and after that the doctor's office won't need the vendor anymore.
They don't do it gladly and they tend not to advertise it, but that's been
my experience.

Some vendors may charge for tech time to do the dump, but in many cases
it's worth it to pay the fee to get out of a bad situation. How badly does
the doc want out? A contract is a contract.

Do some vendors attempt to hold data hostage? Absolutely, but I believe
it's morally bankrupt and is just one of the hurdles a national health
care data exchange will face.