[mdlug] Obahma plan to digitize health care

Mark Kimsal mark at metrofindings.com
Mon Jan 12 15:40:22 EST 2009

On Monday 12 January 09, Bhaskar Navaneetham wrote:
> Just 2cent worth of thoughts!!! Is anyone thought about security? Thumb
> nail loss will be a major issue and web portal also a risk of someone
> personal information. Is any technology beyond this?

http://truecrypt.org
http://www.openssl.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Encryption_Standard

As for right now, using true crypt to encrypt an entire thumb-drive with
public/private key and aes-256 algorithm would probably be more secure than
your current medical or banking records right now.

First, the only way someone could attack your records right now is if you lost
your key.  As of right now, there could be 100 people trying to hack into
your medical records and there's no way for you to know.

Secondly, it would probably be cheaper and faster to clone you, raise the
clone with your exact childhood, and then get permission to read their
medical history than it would be to try to break aes-256.  But, we all know
that technology gets cheaper and faster and what not.

The real problem with you having access to your own medical records is that
you could forge them.  There's no way anybody would allow you to have access
to the master copy of something about you.  Imagine if you could have your
credit history on a thumb-drive...   At best we will get copies of medical
records.  In which case, the encrypted thumb drive is still way more secure
than any centralized, secure storage solution.

As for the Web site... it's pretty easy to create a very secure Web site
portal, it's just that usually people don't like to be bothered with creating
strong passwords, logging out, using a certain browser with certain settings,
not accessing the site from a cafe with free wi-fi... etc. etc.

Security of a Web site is half up to the owners/developers and half up to the
people who use it.