[mdlug] KDE 4

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 14:24:21 EST 2009

Robert Adkins wrote:
> [...]

The problem is... opensuse, like everyone else, is making
KDE 4, which is currently the equivalent of a poured basement
plus the rudimentary 2"x4" studs the default KDE, and relegating
the stable, castle of KDE 3.5 into a place where it will not
be found by new users....unless they know to look for it (which,
as new users...that's probably not going to happen).

> 	I'm reading about OpenSuSe 11.1 as I am downloading the DVD iso to
> start upgrading my systems.

read the opensuse mailing list.

opensuse-subscribe at opensuse.org.

Lots of annoyances being reported that indicate a sloppy release.
Boot-up problems, replacing a reliable partitioner in YaST
with one which fails badly...particularly on RAID system
which was the precise reason for coming up with a new
partitioner GUI in the first place.

Most users on the list are saying their sticking with 11.0,
or even 10.3 on their production machines.  11.1 one is having
serious teething pains.  It's POSSIBLE that enough of it will
be patched up 4-8 weeks from now, and so the post-install
online updates will cure most problems.

As for me...I'm sticking with 10.3.  Sadly, 11.2 will probably
be the earliest upgrade for this machine (AMD x64_x2, 6 GB mem).
As for KDE 4... I don't see myself switching until KDE 4.3...
again, because of the pathetically childish management by
Aaron Seigo (previously commented on this list by me).