[mdlug] Gimp plugin.

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 20:02:03 EST 2009

Garry Stahl wrote:
> I am trying to install a gimp plug in, it requires compiling, something
> I have never done.
>
> To me this looks like it failed.  the plugin is gimp-ilbm-0.9.4 , to
> give me access to my old Amiga graphic files.  Yes ,I need them.  Could
> someone explain in words of one syllable what went wrong here?  I am NOT
> CLI competent.  I was following the instructions given.
>
> phoenix:/home/tesral/Download/gimp-ilbm-0.9.4 # ./configure
> checking for working aclocal... found
> checking for working autoconf... found
> checking for working automake... found
> checking for working autoheader... found
> checking for working makeinfo... found
> checking for gimptool... no
> ./configure: line 1582: --cflags: command not found
> ./configure: line 1583: --libs: command not found
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for C compiler default output... a.out
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking for gawk... gawk
> checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
> checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
> checking whether gcc accepts -g... (cached) yes
> checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... (cached) none needed
> checking whether ln -s works... yes
> checking for egrep... grep -E
> checking for ANSI C header files... yes
> checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes
> configure: creating ./config.status
> config.status: creating Makefile
> phoenix:/home/tesral/Download/gimp-ilbm-0.9.4 # make
> cd . && automake --gnu --include-deps Makefile
> Makefile.am: required file `./depcomp' not found
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Garry....

The command line interface is *WORDS*....
it is *NOT a television set

-- that means you don't watch it... you READ it.

Now, with that being said....
What this message says is that there is a required
file (./depcomp), and its not there (in the current
directory).

> Makefile.am:   `automake --add-missing' can install `depcomp'

This line is even helpful enough to tell you exactly
how to correct the problem.

Once again, the big hint is READING the output, rather than
just throwing up your hands and crying "it doesn't work!"

> Makefile.am:9: `CFLAGS' is a user variable, you should not override it;
> Makefile.am:9: use `AM_CFLAGS' instead.

Ignore those warning messages, because you didn't do
anything to cause them... the software's author did.

> make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1

Ending with exit code 1 (the standard for C and Unix and Linux
is exit code 0 = success, no problems to be concerned with).

P.S. Why did I write the first couple of paragraphs in
such a bombastic style?  So that you remember what
I'm telling you.