[mdlug] [OT] Windows VER 7

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 15:41:33 EST 2009

R. Kannan wrote:
> Anyone knows if they are dropping Vista and going back to XP code base, user interface etc. for Windows 7? If this is just a do-over on XP, how can they expect the corporations to dole out more money for the same thing?

Windows 7 is *ACTUALLY*  Windows 6.1,  Windows 6.0 being Vista.

Windows 3.1 / 3.11 (WFWG) = Windows 3.x
Windows NT, 2000	  = Windows 4.x
Windows 2003, XP	  = Windows 5.x
Windows Vista,7		  = Windows 6.x

The reason that they're calling it Windows 7 is to (dishonestly)
create the impression that Windows 7 is unrelated to Vista (6.0).

Basically, when the Business community rejected Windows 6.0 and
said that they would wait for 7.0... Ballmer & Company immediately
rebranded 6.1 as 7.

Following the lead of Intel and the 386 SX/DX idiocy(*), if you can't
create a better product, then sow confusion in the marketplace.

Intel 386 SX chips were nothing more than 386 DX chips with
internal fuses to the floating point unit blown to make the
FPU unusable.  This follows the example of IBM in the 1960's and
70's, when their low-performance versions of CPUs were the SAME
components as the high-performance versions with the addition of
an extra daughter-card which had no purpose other than to chew up
a fixed percentage of clock cycles by preventing the CPU from
changing state (i.e. no work done!) during those clock cycles.

Only in the computer industry do we see manufacturers delivering
deliberately crippled products to customers -- it would be like
GM selling vehicles with inline-4 engines which were actually
V8 engines, but with extra factory work (such as welding shut
intake passages) and/or components from the factory for no
purpose other than to sabotage the product to prevent it from
working at it's designed potential.

Damned accountants drive all of this nonsense!