[mdlug] [Microsoft Bashing]Stop the car I need to fix my radio

Robert Meier list1c30fe42 at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 7 23:13:13 EST 2009

Rich,

> As to having issues with these operating system software controlling
> things... have you flown in an airplane lately?  They can takeoff,
> fly the route and land without pilot interaction if desired,
> but in most cases they pilots do the take off and landings,
> hence why they can get loaded before hand!

FAA type certification and airworthiness regulations (14 CFR)
do not permit single point of failure design (Part 15)
nor flight initiation (Part 61, 91, 121, 135) without
operative primary and backup flight systems (MEL).  The B767
was the first "fly-by-wire" certified civilian aircraft.  The
B767 certification required proving an expected death toll from
software defect of IIRC less than 1 passenger death per 200,000
plane-years.  In the event of a logic failure, depressing
a "big button" between the B767 pilot and copilot stations
disconnects the pitch augmentation control (fly-by-wire)
and the flight surfaces operate in a ganged and aerodynamically
stable (but fuel inefficient) mode.  All other US type
certificated licensed aircraft not of this series
nor powered lift category are required to be able to fly with
inoperative "control logic" (positive dynamic and positive
or neutral static stability in pitch, yaw, roll, fugoid,
and other modes).

In other words, software control is encouraged if it enhances
performance (e.g fuel economy, range, endurance, speed, ...)
and does not degrade safety, but the FAA requires "mathematical"
proof that so long as the hardware functions, the software cannot
crash, hang, or go out of control, and that if the hardware
malfunctions, the hardware must be disconnectable.

IMHO, the recent administration has dangerously undermined
the ability of the FAA and pilots to enforce the training,
compliance, and inspection regulations, but only very
recently has enough time transpired that US type certificated
designs may be affected.

Clear skies,
--
Bob

  "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the
   universe is that none of it has tried to contact *us*."
     -- Calvin and Hobbs