[mdlug] [Microsoft Bashing]Stop the car I need to fix my radio

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Wed Jan 7 11:59:06 EST 2009

> From: Garry Stahl

> It is always possible to ask a multi-function device to do too much.
> do believe the smart phones are pushing that envelope and pushing
hard.
> They dont just pack a lot on a processor, they pack a lot onto
> everything about the phone.

 I have a Palm Treo 650. It is a phone and a PDA - a 'smartphone' - and
I'm very happy with it.

 I use it as a phone, of course. But I also keep a diary going back
several years on it. I also keep many ebooks (including reference
material), games, music, and movies on it. That comes in *very* handy on
my daily bus ride, as well as keeping my kids entertained when the
occasional delay happens.

 I also have a large number of passwords held in an encrypted form,
making it much more practical for me to have different passwords for
everything. With a Bluetooth GPS, it's also a navigation system with
turn-by-turn directions. I can connect via Bluetooth to my Linux box in
my house and surf the web for free at acceptable speeds wherever I am.
It's come in handy several times.

 It also syncs up very nicely with Linux, ensuring that my data is
backed up. I can (and have) written my own applications for it.

 The single con is that it's not *quite* as stable as I'd like. Bouncing
between my text editor and the web browser results in the occasional
(<3/week) reboot. Annoying, but worth the tradeoff for my needs.

 Plus, since it's my phone, my wife can't object to my having it around,
unlike when I had a separate phone and PDA. :->

Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                     (313) 227-2317

   Microsoft Windows - You'll envy the dead.