[mdlug] [Microsoft Bashing]Stop the car I need to fix my radio

Robert Jim Fulner fulner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 10:53:41 EST 2009

I actually work for a Bluetooth company called Parrot.
http://www.parrot.com/usa (right in Southfield, MI).  A competitor for the
Microsoft Sync system. Our newest OEM products in development are actually
running a Linux kernel.

That being said, at least with our after market products, which is the
department I work in, many people feel they need to reboot the car to fix
issues, like sub woofers, etc. not "unmuting" after a call. Often this does
fix it, though regularly for only a very short amount of time. Usually
Bluetooth issues that we see are more commonly caused by phone side issues.
Phone manufactures these days try to cram so much crap into a tiny
processor, that the phone gets all messed up, especially sending weird info
via Bluetooth, so if you don't restart the phone at least once a day by
removing the battery things get to be a pan in the arse. Palm, the only
major smart hpone I know of with native Linux support, seems to be the worse
at this. Its like you can't win. I had high hopes for the HTC G1 (T-Mobile
Google phone) but haven't gotten a chance to play with it yet and reviews
I've heard are not overly positive.

Just my two cents.

Jim