[mdlug] [Microsoft Bashing]Stop the car I need to fix my radio

Dave mdlug3 at arb.net
Wed Jan 7 08:14:26 EST 2009

Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> Garry Stahl wrote:
>
>> David Relson wrote:
>>
>>> Last I heard, electronics in cars had progressed _way_ beyond the
>>> radios.  Automakers have been putting ECU's (Electronic Control Units)
>>> into cars for some time now.  Whether they have OS's, or merely a
>>> multi-tasking executive, they _are_ present.  Our kids will probably
>>> learn to hack into the dashboard to play tetris, or access facebook, or
>>> some such fun thing.
>>>

>> I can put tits on an airplane too, it isn't necessarily a good idea.
>>
>> I'm all for progress, but to me that means improvements without creating
>> new problems in the process.
>>

> Yes, computer CONTROLLED engines are a bane to dependability.
>
> On the other hand, Computer ASSISTED engines can be good thing --
> They have a much better chance of limping home.  However, I have
> yet to see any devices which rely on the old, reliable "vacuum
> advance" system for ignition timing, with the computer merely
> being used to fine-tune the vacuum signal for optimum spark
> plug timing advancement.
For every car sold here in the past 20 years ( +/-) every engine
required an ECM (controlled) simply to meet the EPA requirements. Its
not about reliability or keeping the back yard mechanic out. Its about
the only way to achieve this requirement.  The exhaust coming out the
back of a new VW Jetta TDI is actually cleaner than the air coming into
it. This would not be possible without a computer to control the
multiple injection events per stroke per cylinder.

Now, you _can_ buy a simple carberated car today NEW. No electronics,
just simple mechanical systems. I have been in the dealership. The out
the door price is less than $5,000.  No, I'm not dreaming. I did not say
where. The car is a Lada and the dealership is in Ukraine. They have no
EPA as is the case in most of the geographic world.

-dave