[mdlug] [Microsoft Bashing]Stop the car I need to fix my radio

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 07:56:29 EST 2009

Garry Stahl wrote:
> David Relson wrote:
>> Last I heard, electronics in cars had progressed _way_ beyond the
>> radios.  Automakers have been putting ECU's (Electronic Control Units)
>> into cars for some time now.  Whether they have OS's, or merely a
>> multi-tasking executive, they _are_ present.  Our kids will probably
>> learn to hack into the dashboard to play tetris, or access facebook, or
>> some such fun thing.
>>

> I can put tits on an airplane too, it isn't necessarily a good idea.
>
> I'm all for progress, but to me that means improvements without creating
> new problems in the process.

Yes, computer CONTROLLED engines are a bane to dependability.

On the other hand, Computer ASSISTED engines can be good thing --
They have a much better chance of limping home.  However, I have
yet to see any devices which rely on the old, reliable "vacuum
advance" system for ignition timing, with the computer merely
being used to fine-tune the vacuum signal for optimum spark
plug timing advancement.