[mdlug] [Microsoft Bashing]Stop the car I need to fix my radio

Garry Stahl tesral at comcast.net
Tue Jan 6 22:34:38 EST 2009

Michael Rudas wrote:
> You would think that car makers would learn more from each other—or
> themselves.  BMW's WinCE-based "iDrive" system has been BIG trouble,
> especially at the beginning—in a now-gone video on YouTube, for
> example, it was shown spitting out the key card and flashing all the
> dash lights instead of starting up.
>
> I just can't see ANY MS OS controlling basic automotive functionality.
>  When do BMW or Ford owners sign a EULA?  Let alone one that DOESN'T
> indemnify MS against "crashing" the car?

Never mind ANY OS controlling basic automotive functionality.  All
computers crash, some do it less than others.  The analog system that
control cars work and work well.  I think the very idea of a car OS is a
solution in search of a problem.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users Group http://www.mdlug.org