[mdlug] ECC RAM failure data - jre

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Feb 27 19:09:49 EST 2009

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:40:57 -0500
Jeff Hanson wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Dan Pritts <danno at umich.edu> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 12:53:43PM -0500, Jeff Hanson wrote:
> >> Only a lot more expensive if it's fully buffered.  The
> >> KVR800D2E5K2/4G were only $45 compared to similar non-ECC RAM that
> >> was $40.
> >
> > how much more was the motherboard compared to a non-ECC capable
> > one?
> >
> > also, i read somewhere that the newest intel cpus do not have
> > any ECC variants.
> >

> It's an Asus M3A78-EM.  I didn't consider ECC vs. non-ECC price
> because at the time I just wanted an alternative to a Gigabyte
> GA-MA770-DS3 that supported the Crucial memory I already had.  When
> the new board resulted in the same stability problems (after already
> replacing the AMD Phenom 9550, Gigabyte board, and Crucial Ballistix
> once) I figured the problem was the memory.  I bought some Corsair
> TWIN2X4096-6400C5 but after checking ECC memory pricing I decided that
> my data was worth ECC.  After switching to the Kingston ECC I haven't
> had a problem since.  The Crucial Ballistix were replaced under
> warranty with a new 2.0V version that I haven't tested yet.

I had 4x1GB Crucial PC-6400 memory.  Two sticks bought in Sep 2007 and
two in Mar 2008.  In Nov I started experiencing miscellaneous problems
which lead to a mobo RMA exchange, then memtest (no errors), then
memtest (again -- but errors this time).  The newer sticks were bad and
Crucial replaced all 4 sticks with 2.0v memory.  The newest sticks are
about 2 weeks old now and are working perfectly!