[mdlug] ECC RAM failure data - jre

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 13:40:57 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 12:57 PM, Dan Pritts <danno at umich.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 12:53:43PM -0500, Jeff Hanson wrote:
>> Only a lot more expensive if it's fully buffered.  The KVR800D2E5K2/4G
>> were only $45 compared to similar non-ECC RAM that was $40.
>
> how much more was the motherboard compared to a non-ECC capable
> one?
>
> also, i read somewhere that the newest intel cpus do not have
> any ECC variants.

It's an Asus M3A78-EM.  I didn't consider ECC vs. non-ECC price
because at the time I just wanted an alternative to a Gigabyte
GA-MA770-DS3 that supported the Crucial memory I already had.  When
the new board resulted in the same stability problems (after already
replacing the AMD Phenom 9550, Gigabyte board, and Crucial Ballistix
once) I figured the problem was the memory.  I bought some Corsair
TWIN2X4096-6400C5 but after checking ECC memory pricing I decided that
my data was worth ECC.  After switching to the Kingston ECC I haven't
had a problem since.  The Crucial Ballistix were replaced under
warranty with a new 2.0V version that I haven't tested yet.