[mdlug] USB Flash Drive Recommendations for Linux?

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 23:15:44 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis00 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Stan Green wrote:
>> I am currently using USB flash drives that I am not happy with. They are VERY
>> slow, they are at their worse during writes. It is taking about 30 minutes to
>> copy 5GB. I lost track of how long my last 20GB copy took. They might be USB
>
> This is why I buy laptop drives, and put them in a $25 USB carrier.
> The $/GB is a better buy, and for large file transfers, they
> work faster -- at least for decent file systems like ext3 or xfs.

I concur.  In addition to being slow, USB flash drives have a limited
write lifetime.

An alternative to a carrier is an USB adapter.  Some images of one in
use to multi-boot:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Robert.Citek/USBDrive#

The one pictured is 160 GB, but now you can get larger, faster drives
for less than what I paid for the 160 GB drive.

Regards,
- Robert