[mdlug] Mint 6, SSH and disconnects

dw at maserator.com dw at maserator.com
Thu Feb 12 12:27:44 EST 2009

Typically, You will not receive a new IP address unless one of the
following occurs,  1) the number of IP addresses for your area has been
maxxed and the DHCP Server needs to re-allocate them or assign more, 2)
you connect another device to your modem and the DHCP server sees a new
MAC adress or  3) your device (router in your case)is not connected to the
modem when the IP lease expires and the DHCP Server needs to assign
someone else an IP address in your area.

I am an engineer for a large cable ISP (larger than Wide Open West).  I am
also an avid Linux user (Since 2000).  I have never seen or had any issues
with a cable internet provider (including Wide open West) intermittently
dropping a connection based on using port22.  I will admit, as most of you
already know, port Port 25 is scrutinized pretty well.  In all cases, If
we had a problem with traffic from your connection, it would be shut down
until you called in so we could smack your hand.  Even in the case of port
25, we would just block the port.

Next step, I agree, dmesg | tail

If I can be of any assistance, I will.