[mdlug] MS: Average consumer runs only two apps at a time

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Mon Feb 9 15:51:03 EST 2009

> From: Robert Adkins
> 	People were saying that Microsoft was shooting itself in the
foot
> with the arbitrary differences between the 6 versions of Windows Vista
and
> they were going to pay. Only... that hasn't happened.

 Yes it has. Not all at once and in a tidal wave, but Vista's rollout
has been *very* slow. Businesses are holding back on XP migrations, and
pretty much every computer I saw advertised (until MS cut it off)
offered the ability 'downgrade' to XP. (That's new for an MS operating
system, I assure you.)

> 	Linux isn't going to have the success that MacOSX has until
someone
> figures out how to turn it into a commercial success by riding heavily
on
> a niche

 Like netbooks? MS is having a really tough time there. Indeed, this
"Windows 7 starter edition" is *aimed* at netbooks, and isn't meant to
be sold in the U.S., Asia, or Europe. It's to keep the third world from
switching to Linux en masse.

 See my .sig. There isn't going to be a "Year Of The Linux Desktop", in
the same way as there wasn't a "Year Of The Linux Server".

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                              (313) 227-2317

 I remember when people said Linux would never be more than a toy. Then
 they said it was capable of some neat things, but would never be used
  in a business. Then they said it could be used for small things in a
  business, but it'd never scale to the high end. Now, it's fine in a
      server role, but will never be any good as a desktop...

 P.S. I should probably revise that .sig now. "Then it'd be fine in a
server role, but would never be any good as a desktop. Now it's okay for
a simple desktop like a netbook, but will never make it in the
mainstream..."