[mdlug] DSL Bell Telephone

Michael Rudas audiotech50 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 12:20:00 EST 2009

--- Robert Jim Fulner wrote:

> My wife and I recently bought a new house, we've had AT&T uverse and
> loved it, but its not available at our new location. As such we setting up a
> DSL only account, AT&T calls it a dry loop account, and its scheduled to be
> turned on on Tuesday.
[snip]
> In the basement, the only phone jack, at least that I can find,
> is hooked into an old Bell Telephone that is permanently
> mounted on the wall.

I have done about half-a-dozen DSL installs.  I have had DSL myself
for about 7 years.  I'm an electronic technician with telephone
experience--so I can give you some info here.

Go to the back of the house.  You will find a box where the telephone
drop attaches to the house (usually gray)--this is the Network
Interface (NI).  If it's not there, AT&T should install it.  This is
the dividing line between the telephone system and your house-internal
wiring.  If you open "your" side of the box, you will see one or more
RJ-11 phone jacks with a cord plugged in and screw posts with wires
attached.

Trace the wires into the house.  On the inside, find the junction
connector.  You can run a wire directly from there to your DSL phone
jack near your PC.  My run is only about 25 feet, so 24AWG speaker
wire works fine.  See my article "Avoiding DSL Hell" and feel free to
ask further questions.
<http://users.ameritech.net/mpr_support/DSL_Hell.html>

~~ Michael Rudas
    My home page: http://MRudas.2Ya.com