[mdlug] Netbook suggestions (and uhappy laptop)

Brandon bfotiu at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 09:23:07 EDT 2009

I second the Wind.  I bought one around the time they came out and I
haven't looked back.  It has the same as everything else's netbook
specs, (1.6GHZ Intel Atom, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD) but the nice thing is it's
keyboard is 95% size so you can actually type on it.  Comes with a 2
partition XP setup (one for use and one for "restore") which I
immediately removed and replaced with Linux Mint XFCE.  Added another
1GB of RAM (it has "remove this sticker to void your warranty" screw
holes that you have to go through just to open the thing).  The only
trouble is that under XP the wireless module (RTL8187 or RTL8187SE,
depending) works great but can be flaky at least under Mint / Ubuntu.
You should be able to find the U-100 for around $300.

Of course Verizon and the other carriers are scrambling to release HP
and Dell's offerings.  I've heard the Dell Mini is nice overall.

Good luck,

Brandon