[mdlug] Netbook suggestions (and uhappy laptop)

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Mon Aug 24 18:17:09 EDT 2009

Ingles, Raymond wrote:
> I think my wife may have killed our laptop. It was showing signs of
> overheating last time it worked (she had it on a pillow on her lap,
> blocking the inlet vent). Now it won't boot if there's a hard drive
> connected - I've tried two different drives. I think it'll boot off a
> CD/DVD, but it's of limited utility then. Any suggestions for
> troubleshooting?

Check the air passages and vents around the fan.  I had an
HP laptop that would easily overheat in the summer, but
never did in the winter.  I finally decided to replace the
fan.  In the process I pulled out gobs of dog hairs and
dust balls from various locations, popped in the new fan
and have been using it without problem ever since.