[mdlug] Joikuspot (was: downtown detroit wifi hot spots)

Peter Bart peter at petertheplumber.net
Sat Aug 22 09:56:09 EDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-22 at 05:43 -0400, Robert Citek wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Peter Bart<peter at petertheplumber.net> wrote:
> > I can't say enough good things about ATT's $15 unlimited data plan and Joikuspot.
>
> Fill us in.  How does this work?  Do you have a blog which describes your setup?
>
> Regards,
> - Robert

	Joikuspot <http://joiku.com/> is software that runs on my cell phone
and turns it into a wifi hotspot. No, I don't have a blog but I'll try
to explain what I have. I have an unlocked Nokia E66
<http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products/phones/nokia-e66> which I
activated on AT&T's network with a voice plan along with unlimited
messaging and data
<http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/services/services-list.jsp?catId=cat1470003&catName=Messaging+%26+Data&_requestid=208141>, with the latter for $30/month. I use the premium Joiku version which gives me email access. The light version does not. For quickly checking email, I connect using bluetooth. It's slow, but I don't have to take my cell phone out. For surfing and a faster connection I start Joikuspot. Then I have a WPA enabled 3G wifi hotspot in my pocket that multiple users can connect to. This of course uses much more power than normal cell phone use. In practice, the battery of the cell phone runs down in the same time as the battery of my handheld tablet.
	Some of the things to be aware of. ATT specifically states that they
reserve the right to cancel your service for any reason, including
excessive data usage. ATT may or may not consider this tethering, which
has specific implications in their TOS. Carry an auto charger for the
phone, Joikuspot uses up the battery quickly.
	That being said, it's working very well for me. I use it a few times a
week. It was especially useful when I found myself bringing another to
the hospital and waiting there. My connection was actually faster than
the hospitals wifi, and I was able to check RSS feeds and email which
they had blocked.

Best Regards,
--
Peter Bart <peter at petertheplumber.net>