[mdlug] Alienware doesn't support boot from CD?

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Wed Aug 5 10:57:43 EDT 2009

> From: Raymond McLaughlin

> Is this USB HD formatted NTFS? I'm not sure about vfat, but ntfs
volumes
> will be marked as "dirty" (i.e. not cleanly unmounted and thus not
> necessarily consistent) if they are not properly unmounted.
>
> The ntfs drivers under linux will refuse to mount ntfs filesystems
with
> this flag set. *But* you can, if you have root privileges, mount the
> drive manually using the '-f' flag ('f' is for force).

 There's also a program for Linux called "ntfsfix"; I've had to use it
once on a really borked NTFS system that would actually cause Windows XP
to crash if it tried to mount it. You run it, then boot into Windows and
it runs a whole CHKDSK on it.

Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                    (313) 227-2317

 "Bill Gates is a billionare because he [realized] that given
 a choice between a $200 program that works flawlessly and a
   $99 program that fails 5% of the time, most people (and
  businesses) will choose the cheaper product (while moaning
         how bad software is)." - Steven Maurer