[mdlug] Alienware doesn't support boot from CD?

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Tue Aug 4 15:50:42 EDT 2009

Jay P Hailey wrote:

>> We have an older 500 GB external hard disk
>
> My SUSE Linux wouldn't recognize my USB HD until it had been "safely
> ejected" from the windows box.
>
> Jay ~meow!~

Is this USB HD formatted NTFS? I'm not sure about vfat, but ntfs volumes
will be marked as "dirty" (i.e. not cleanly unmounted and thus not
necessarily consistent) if they are not properly unmounted.

The ntfs drivers under linux will refuse to mount ntfs filesystems with
this flag set. *But* you can, if you have root privileges, mount the
drive manually using the '-f' flag ('f' is for force).

See the man page for 'mount' for more information.

Raymond McLaughlin