[mdlug] How to rip CD faster?

Dan Pritts danno at umich.edu
Tue Nov 25 17:10:24 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 10:48:55PM -0500, Michael Rudas wrote:
> the CUE file can hold the track information obtained via the FreeDB or
> the CDDB.  Under Windows, I use "Exact Audio Copy" -- but I'd rather
> use Linux.  Here's what I found:

Hmm.  I've read that cdparanoia is less likely than EAC to deal
with problems with bad CDs, and the internet audiophile community
doesn't like it.

However, I see that cdparanoia 10.2 has been released very recently,
and says it fixes caching issues with drives.  I'd recommend you
use this version.

It probably doesn't matter if all your CDs are pristine, but we all
know how likely that is.

unsolicited advice:  encode to flac or another lossless format.
if you want other formats for portables, transcode to those formats
also.

If you do this you'll not have to re-rip when the next best format
comes along; if you rip to MP3 but later want AAC, you won't want
to transcode (because you'll endure significant quality loss when
you do).

flac compresses roughly 50%.  300 CDs probably will fit in 100G.

danno
--
dan pritts
danno at umich.edu