[mdlug] [WLUG] SuSE root breakin help needed

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon May 26 12:38:37 EDT 2008

Jay Nugent wrote:

>    Can't seem to get the hard drive mounted after trying all sorts of
> permutations of fstab.  I don't know the exact partitioning of the hard
> drive but *seem* to recall it was basically three partitions, /, /home,
> and swap, and that it is a SATA drive.  But I can't recall whether it had

	parted /dev/sda print

should tell you most of what you need to know.  Then once you see the
layout, you can create temporary mount points

	mkdir /mnt/t1 /mnt/t2 /mnt/t3

and

	mount  /dev/sda1 /mnt/t1

etc

If you need LVM, you may see a mount failure, or a partition type
difference.

> LVM turned on or not, and I have NO idea how to deal with LVM *if* it was
> turned on.

LVM can be fun.  We avoid it for most things, as recovery is, well, a
challenge, in the event things go pear shaped.