[mdlug] SuSE root breakin help needed

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Mon May 26 12:19:55 EDT 2008

Greetings,
   It has been years since I ever needed to break into a box to clear or
reset the root passwork, and boy have things changed!  Used to be as
simple as 'linux 1' at the LILO prompt.  Not anymore....

   I have a server running SuSE 10.3 that I need to correct some settings
on its Postfix configuration, and need root to do it.  The customer gave
me the box to work on, but didn't give me the root PW.  I understand that
I can boot into "rescue" from the install DVD (done that), then create a
mount point (done that), and edit /etc/fstab (done that -- albeit not
correctly apparently).

   Can't seem to get the hard drive mounted after trying all sorts of
permutations of fstab.  I don't know the exact partitioning of the hard
drive but *seem* to recall it was basically three partitions, /, /home,
and swap, and that it is a SATA drive.  But I can't recall whether it had
LVM turned on or not, and I have NO idea how to deal with LVM *if* it was
turned on.

   I can't keep trying different config lines in /etc/fstab endlessly and
blindly.  Anyone have some suggestions how best to procede??

   Thanks!
      --- Jay

said:    "Would you like fries with that emergency communication?"
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)544-4326/Fax        |
| Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]     (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.net] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|
| LinuxNIC, Inc. [www.linuxnic.net]   Registrar of the .linux TLD        |