[mdlug] Linux Creeping Into Everyday Life

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Thu May 22 20:56:24 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Michael Rudas <audiotech50 at gmail.com> wrote:
> In the movie "Iron Man" there is a sequence where Pepper Potts
> surreptitiously downloads some sooper-sekrit data to a flash drive.
> Imagine my surprise when, instead of the expected "Movie OS"
> fancy-graphics high-tech display, I saw a relatively unadorned
> Enlightenment desktop running on what was clearly Linux -- though I
> don't know how much what I saw differs from a stock E desktop, I'm
> pretty sure that's what it was.

There might be a practical reason for it - copyright.  Whenever there
is a product, poster, trademark, etc. is in a movie or photograph the
owner is entitled to licensing fees.  Freedomware desktops look
unusual and are generally claim free.  If the creator of the movie or
photograph can't get paid for product placement from the owner then
they either have to license it, remove it, or find a free replacement.