[mdlug] Linux Creeping Into Everyday Life

Michael Rudas audiotech50 at gmail.com
Thu May 22 12:52:35 EDT 2008

--- Peter Bart wrote:
> Hello All,
>    Yesterday I ordered the Roku Netflix player
> <http://www.roku.com/products/netflixplayer/index.php>, hoping it
> shared some sort of Linux OS with the other Roku products. It indeed
> does seem to be running some sort of embedded Linux flavor...

In the movie "Iron Man" there is a sequence where Pepper Potts
surreptitiously downloads some sooper-sekrit data to a flash drive.
Imagine my surprise when, instead of the expected "Movie OS"
fancy-graphics high-tech display, I saw a relatively unadorned
Enlightenment desktop running on what was clearly Linux -- though I
don't know how much what I saw differs from a stock E desktop, I'm
pretty sure that's what it was.

~~ Mikey