[mdlug] SATA DVD/CD drive

Raymond S McLaughlin raymond.s.mclaughlin at gmail.com
Fri May 16 14:53:27 EDT 2008

David Lane wrote:
> I installed Opensuse on a system with a SATA DVD/CD drive.

Which Opensuse? The 11.0 Beta2 looks pretty good,  I'm pulling 11.0 B3
right now.

> The installation went very fast, :) That was great compared to the IDE Drives.
>
> However, The drive does not mount until I run Hardware information, in YAST.

Do you have to do this each time you put in a disk? If you are running
Opensuse 10.3, then I need to as what desk top you are running. I
noticed with 10.3 that the handling of auto mounting of removable media
was moved to the desktop environment, and as far as I could tell only
KDE and Gnome had it. (Xfce might I'm not sure.) This leaves people
running in text mode or using other lightweight desktops to manually
mount and unmount their removable media.

This really pissed me off when I first discovered it, but I actually use
KDE almost all the time, so I kind of forgot about it till just now.

> Is there a way to mount this and behave like a normal DVD/CD drive?

Have you tried an ATA CD/DVD on this system to compare its behavior?

> David C. Lane

Raymond McLaughlin

P.S. I am currently tracking a bug in the MDLUG mailing list server that
 is dropping some posts to some destinations. Specifically: posts from
David C.Lane, and so far as I can tell, only from David C. Lane, are
failing to be delivered to any subscribers with .net or .org in their
tdl. I am looking in to this and will post more when I find out more.

RSM Server Admin