[mdlug] SATA DVD/CD drive

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Fri May 16 08:41:03 EDT 2008

> From: Robert Meier

> > However, The drive does not mount until I run Hardware information, in YAST.

> I'm not sure what is going on, so I'll guess :) .

> The unix kernel doesn't know or care whether the drive is
> SATA or "normal".

 Depending on how things are set up, though, a "Parallel ATA" (IDE) drive will
show up as /dev/hd*, and a SATA drive will show up as /dev/sd* (in other words,
a SCSI drive). Now, it's possible that during install SUSE was treating it as
an IDE drive (for compatiblity reasons - you have to be conservative during
install, to make sure things will work) and now that things are installed, it's
seeing it as a SCSI drive, and things aren't quite set up for that.

 I think SUSE does what most do, and symlinks /media/cdrom to the appropriate
device file. What does the output of "ls -l /media" look like?

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                                 (313) 227-2317

 "I do not contribute anything material to the competitive landscape. I am
  there to give players of actual merit a break between epic struggles."
                                - Tycho