[mdlug] USB dilemma

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Thu Mar 20 14:34:35 EDT 2008

> From: Garry Stahl

> I reformatted the drive in Suse 9.3 with fat 32. Since then every time
> I plugged that drive in the USB port it locked the computer solid.
[...]
> I put the drive into the XP box, no problem.  I reformatted it with the
> XP tools and the problem vanished.
>
> Does anyone have an idea WHY?

 Did you change the partition type in the partition table? I could see if it was
labeled ntfs or ext3 but contained fat32, it might trigger a bug. Windows
doesn't support much of anything in terms of filesystems, so it might not be
as senstive to the partition type.

 Just a guess...

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                          (313) 227-2317

  One of the real motives for the invasion of Iraq was to give the
   world a demonstration of American power. It's a measure of how
 badly things have gone that now we're told we can't leave because
 that would be a demonstration of American weakness. - Paul Krugman