[mdlug] New MB passes the smoke test

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Wed Mar 19 16:26:14 EDT 2008

> From: Ingles, Raymond

> It didn't get a network address (a bit of Googling  indicates I can just
> 'restart' the networking and it should work) and apparently
> there's a bug in the 'powernowd' daemon that throttles the CPUs at all times.

 Well, restarting the network didn't work. What worked was plugging the network
cable directly into the Linksys firewall instead of a 10/100 hub. The hub itself
may be bad - the Windows box my wife uses didn't work on the net when plugged
into the hub.

 Anyone heard of a problem with gigabit cards making 10/100 hubs flake out?

 Fortunately, the powernowd thing has apparently been fixed - the CPU frequency
scaled quite well, as it should.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                                    (313) 227-2317

 "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the
 people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent
             and sudden usurpations." - James Madison, 1788