[mdlug] New MB passes the smoke test

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Tue Mar 18 13:24:58 EDT 2008

Got the parts assembled last night. I've given up on the SB Live, at least for
now - the Geforce 8600 GT video card's heatsink/fan sticks out far enough to
cover the neighboring PCI slot. I still don't have all the drives hooked up
yet (Garry, you still have that IDE controller?) but it boots and, with only one
CPU fan, is noticeably quieter than the old system.

 I was using an Ubuntu 7.10 live CD to test things, and there were a couple of
problems. It didn't get a network address (a bit of Googling indicates I can just
'restart' the networking and it should work) and apparently there's a bug in the
'powernowd' daemon that throttles the CPUs at all times. Both issues should be
workable. I still have to run memtest86 for a while, and make sure the RAM is
good - I got bitten badly by faulty laptop RAM once - but it looks good.

 I've got a spare 16GB partition I can install to for now, until I get both
drives going and can juggle some space around. Can't wait to get things really
going and do a test of the 3D card. :->

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                 (313) 227-2317

 The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable
  operating system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying
          to take over the world.  - Drakmere