[mdlug] Anyone familiar with Qmail. I need some help.

Jim jbroughton at twmi.rr.com
Tue Mar 18 23:17:39 EDT 2008

Carl T. Miller wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>
>> I run a Qmail server using netqmail-1.05. This server has been running
>> along fine until
>> about the last 3 months. Now I find myself in a never ending pit of
>> spam.
>>

> Jim, do you have any kind of web based form that generates
> email?  What may be happening is that someone is sending
> bad data to that form to generate email that appears to
> come from other domains.  The remote server would send
> qmail an undeliverable message, perhaps mentioning either
> the fake source domain or the intended destination domain.
> You would then receive the bounced mail message.
>
> You may want to set up a sniffer to see what all connections
> are leaving your server.

Thanks I had not thought of that. It is a definite possibility.
I did however spot a small yet possible error in my tcp.smtp file.
I also throttled port 25 to 3 hits per minute per ip address.
Since this is in a small business 3 hits per minute should be ok.
With these fixes in place email hits today fell off considerably.
Less than 200 hits that actualy got through to the qmail-smtpd server
software verses around 10000+ a day before that. I also had to
get my server ip removed from 2 rbl lists because of this crap.
If you thought spam was aggravating as a user it is far more so
as a server admin.

  Thanks to all that replied. Is this formatting better Aaron?

Jim B.