[mdlug] Anyone familiar with Qmail. I need some help.

Aaron Kulkis akulkis3 at hotpop.com
Mon Mar 17 22:29:17 EDT 2008

Jim wrote:
> I run a Qmail server using netqmail-1.05. This server has been running
> along fine until
> about the last 3 months. Now I find myself in a never ending pit of
> spam. I have firewalled off about 10 different
> countries in there entirety. I have throttled NEW email connections to
> about 3 per minute per IP address
> via the firewall. I use spamdyke to handle the RBL DNS block lists as
> well as local blocklists.  For some reason
> and I am not sure why I am still getting a gazillion bounces.  What is
> weird  is  is that  these  bounces are not
> even targeted at my  domain. I call them bounce spam. I have been over
> my qmail configs files till I cannot stand looking
> at them. For some reason my system is not rejecting these emails but is
> instead feeding them into the bounce facility.
> It's driving me nuts as it pretty much hangs up outgoing mail while
> qmail-remote trys to send out the bounces. Sometimes thousands at a time
> are hung up in the queue not to mention the thousands of double bounces
> that are in my mailbox as well. I can delete the messages in the queue
> but this wipes out legitimate outgoing email as well.
> Has anyone seen this problem or have experience with it? I'm baffled.

I sympathize with you Jim...but frankly, the formatting
on this whole thing makes it aggravating as heck to read.
Especially the lines that are too long
and then take up half a line before going onto the next
line in the middle of a paragraph
It's really really SUPER annoying to just about everyone.
So set your line length to about the 65-70 character range.
The lack of paragraph breaks (or even indentations)
also impede reader comprehension.

In the future, please keep in mind that the purpose of
writing to the list is for others to read your message,
and then write and format so that it's as easy as possible
for the rest of us to read what you wrote.

Otherwise, all you're doing is wasting your own time.